What have we been doing in the University Archives recently?

Conner and Angela last day

May was a busy month for the University Archives. Two of our wonderful undergraduate students, Connor Davis and Angela Keebaugh, made us proud by graduating and becoming TTU alumni. We’ll miss your smiling faces, thank you for all your hard work and wish you the best for the future.  We look forward to training incoming students this summer in the important activity of preserving the university’s history.

Meanwhile, new for this month:

Margaret Watson Weeks served as the first Dean of the School of Home Economics at Texas Technological College during its formative years from 1925-1953. Her 2 box collection contains several scrapbooks on the formation and growth of the college, the School of Home Economics and the Quarterly Club.

Weeks2.1Fourteen  photographs from these scrapbooks have been digitized and added to the Red Raider Retrospective folder on our DSpace site. This 1937 image is of a group of well dressed women posing for a group portrait on the steps of the Home Economics Building.

 

Half of the women are identified: 2) Laura Hard; 3) Jessie McElroy Harvel; 9) Annie Mae Curtis; 10) Mary Green; 11) Doris Lloyd; 12) Anna Kathryn Davies (or Davis?); and 14) Argen Hix (Draper).

Women's studies programs

The 8 box Women’s Studies Program collection  contains the administrative files for the program, including correspondence, minutes from the Women’s Studies Council, and the working conference files.

 

The For Your Information newsletters for 1970-1971 have been digitized and added to the Texas Tech Publications section of our DSpace site. These were produced by the Office of University News and Publications at Texas Tech University for distribution to faculty and staff and covered the highlights of what was happening at the university and the achievements of its students, faculty and colleges.

TexTalkslogoSeveral years of the Texas Tech Alumni Associations’ publications have been digitized as well and are available for viewing at http://collections.swco.ttu.edu/handle/10605/14239. The organization has gone by different names over the years, including the Texas Tech Ex-Students Association. The Texas Tech Magazine began publishing in 1940 and eventually evolved into its current form of the Texas Techsan. Tex Talks began in July 1950 and was the successor of the Ex-Students News newsletter.

 

Advertisements

The Texas Tech Dairy Barn: As It Was, As It Is by Amy Pippin Mire

Picture2 captioned

Texas Tech Dairy Barn, ca 1930

The following paper was presented by the author, Amy Pippin Mire, at the 88th Annual Meeting of the West Texas Historical Association, held in Lubbock, Texas on April 1, 2011. Since this paper was presented, renovations have been made to the Texas Tech Dairy Barn.

013113_1918_TheTexasTec1.jpg

Texas Tech Dairy Barn, ca 1930

Most sources agree that the Dairy Barn was designed by architect W. C. Hedrick of Fort Worth, Texas. He was assisted by Agricultural Dean A. H. Leidigh and Professor W. L. Stangel. Professor Stangel chose the site of the Dairy Barn on his first visit to Lubbock after being named to the faculty at the soon to be constructed Texas Technological College (Andrews 17).

The National Register of Historic Places application dated 26 February 1992 gives a detailed description of the Texas Technological College Dairy Barn. Construction of the Dairy Barn was begun in 1925 and completed in 1927. The Dairy Barn was located south and west of the Administration Building with enough land surrounding it to support a herd of dairy cattle. The structure was constructed of masonry with metal piers and heavy wood beams. The barn was constructed with a stucco exterior. The roof, windows, and doors were all of wood. The barn had an original L shaped plan which included a “milk house” wing and a “sun room”. The “milk house” and “sun room” were one story while the main barn was a two story structure. The free standing silo was, and still is, located to the west of the two story section of the barn. The exterior of the barn had craftsman details in accordance with Professor Stangel’s request. The interior of the Dairy Barn consisted of metal track work connecting the hay lofts, pens and milking area. The tracks were used to transport feed and milk around the barn. The barn had milking facilities for 40 cows, calf stalls, a feed room, boiler room, a chiller, hay loft, a room for an attendant and an office. All milking equipment and overhead track work was removed from the building in 1966.

Professor W.L. Stangel

Professor W.L. Stangel, undated photo

Builders of the Southwest, edited by Seymour V. Connor, gives a short biography of Wenzel Louis Stangel (235) and Arthur Henry Leidigh (122). Professor Stangel was a member of the first faculty at Texas Technological College and head of the Animal Husbandry Department. Professor Stangel came to Texas Technological College from Texas A&M. The Dairy Barn and Dairy Manufactures Department were just a small part of the very large role Professor Stangel played at Texas Tech. Stangel’s area of expertise was Livestock Judging. Arthur Henry Leidigh was Dean of the School of Agriculture from 1925 until 1945. He and Professor Stangel were instrumental in shaping the “Ag Sciences” program at Texas Technological College.

Donald E. Green writes of the first days of classes at Texas Tech in his book Fifty Years of Service to West Texas Agriculture: A History of Texas Tech University’s College of Agricultural Sciences 1925-1975. Professor Stangel had no offices when the Tech campus opened. His desk was a treadle sewing machine. He did have two buildings, the incomplete Dairy Barn and the completed Livestock Judging Pavilion. Of the 914 students enrolled in Texas Tech, 60 were students in the School of Agriculture. Seven of the first 20 courses offered at Texas Tech involved the Dairy Barn facility and the Ag Sciences faculty. Since the Agriculture school was incomplete, Professor Stangel made do on the first day of class and taught the students how to make a rope halter from lengths of rope the students themselves had to furnish. Professor Stangel’s first cow, the subject of the second day of class, was a sick cow he found in a local backyard. He instructed his students about this cow and everything wrong with her “from the tip of her nose to the tip of her tail” (Green 26).

Texas Tech Dairy Barn with dairy herd, looking toward the Livestock Pavilion and Administration, undated

Texas Tech Dairy Barn with dairy herd, looking toward the Livestock Pavilion and Administration, undated

As soon as the Dairy Barn was ready, students were encouraged to bring their own dairy cattle to school. Students had to apply and those approved could bring up to three milk cows. The students cared for the cattle as part of their education. The cattle were housed at the Dairy Barn along with the herd begun by Professor Stangel in March 1926. By the summer of 1926, six students had organized a dairy operation. Students were responsible for feeding, milking, and cleaning up after the cattle herd. One student offered to bring his own herd of registered Jerseys for use as the college herd but his offer was not accepted (Green 34).

Student Dairy Association, undated

Student Dairy Association, undated

The Department of Dairy Industry was led by Kenneth Renner, under the supervision of Stangel (Andrews 116). The Student Dairy Association, organized in 1926, and the Dairy Manufactures Department, organized in 1927, sold milk and ice cream to the campus cafeteria and Home Economics food labs. By 1930, as the dairy grew, students also sold milk, butter, and cream to the residents of Lubbock, delivering the products by horse drawn wagon (Andrews 118). The students received payment for the dairy products they sold to Lubbock residents and those funds enabled them to attend Texas Tech. Unfortunately for the students, Professor Stangel’s college herd was very successful. This resulted in the students who brought their own cows losing that privilege. Students had to remove their cows from the Dairy Barn by Saturday, July 20, 1935 and the Texas Tech Student Dairy Association ceased to exist. The Dairy Manufactures Department continued (Green 47).

Student Dairy Association delivery truck, undated

Student Dairy Association delivery truck, undated


A review of the papers of Professor W. L. Stangel from the 1950’s reveals a treasure trove of dairy records. As part of the Dairy Manufactures Department, extensive records were kept of all milk production. Each milk cow was assigned a number and her production was recorded monthly. Production of different breeds of cattle was recorded for analysis. For example, during the period of May 26, 1958 to June 26, 1958, the Dairy Manufactures Department, housed in the Dairy Barn, produced 31,001 pounds of milk. That converts to approximately 3,875 gallons. The net value of the milk was $1,519.69. The Dairy Manufactures Department sold 10,321 pounds (1,279 gallons) of milk to Bell Dairy and 1,272 pounds (159 gallons) to Furr’s. All of Professor Stangel’s records are in pounds.

Monthly rates of production varied, reaching as high as 72,676 pounds (9,084 gallons) of milk during the period March 26 to April 25, 1957. In July of 1955, there were a total of 64 cows included in the herd. There were 33 Holsteins, 20 Jerseys and 11 Guernseys. The Dairy Manufactures Department employed 10 students and farm hands during the 1950’s.

Texas Tech Dairy Barn, March 2011

Texas Tech Dairy Barn, March 2011

The Dairy Barn was abandoned in 1966 when the Dairy Manufactures Department moved to new quarters. The Dairy Barn no longer fit with the scope of the college. Portions of the Dairy Barn were demolished to make room for the Foreign Language building. Plans were discussed in the 1970’s to landscape the area around the Diary Barn and turn it into a mall. In 1971, Tech administration announced plans to turn the Dairy Barn into a campus entertainment center (Green 136). Those plans never materialized. The proposed mall was never developed and the Dairy Barn and Silo were left to stand alone and deteriorate, surrounded by modern buildings that did not have a tale to tell.

According to unpublished papers in the Dairy Barn Records, supporters led by Arch Lamb, founder of the Texas Tech Saddle Tramps, a spirit organization, spearheaded an effort to save the Dairy Barn in the late 1980’s. Students and alumni raised $50,000 between 1990 and 1992 to preserve the Dairy Barn and Silo. Through these efforts, the Dairy Barn was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. As part of the drive to have the Dairy Barn added to the National Register of Historic Places, several former students who had studied or worked with the herd of dairy cattle had some thought provoking remarks. In an undated, unpublished letter, George Tate, a freshman in 1930, states “…a few outstanding boys who were not financially able to enter college were allowed to bring one cow and put her in the college herd. He would, in turn, make a hand at milking, processing, and even run the delivery wagon pulled by a little team of mules and have no fear of missing a house because Dan and Kate had the route down pat. The work the boy did paid for his cow’s feed and expenses, and the weekly milk check paid his college expenses…Let’s not let this important part of our heritage fall to the demolition crew.” W. W. (Bill) Gregory, class of 1934, in an undated, unpublished letter also gives credit to the Dairy Barn’s program. “Many agricultural graduates from 1925 through the Great Depression years would have never made it if the Texas Tech Dairy Barn’s Program hadn’t furnished employment for them to work their way through years of college.” Arch Lamb’s undated and unpublished remarks provide some insight on how the Dairy Barn impacted other areas of study at Texas Tech. “It has not only served Dairy students. Architectural students have drawn and studied the design and structure of the Tech Dairy Barn and Silo probably as much as any building on campus. Even today in its abused and neglected condition one sees many (a) student with their drawing boards and sketch pad(s) sitting and drawing the historical old Barn and Silo. It speaks loudly of our beginning and past.”

Texas Tech Dairy Barn, March 2011

Texas Tech Dairy Barn, March 2011

As one looks at the Diary Barn today, one sees a building honored as a historical building but sadly neglected once again. The leaders of the efforts to restore the Dairy Barn and designate it as a historic place have passed on. In the rush to keep up with the latest advancements, we have lost sight of our past. The Dairy Barn stands as a silent witness to the past of Texas Tech, a past that centers on the agricultural industry that made this part of the Southwest great. The Dairy Barn should not fade away into that past. Someone, somewhere, somehow should take up the cause of the Dairy Barn again and breathe life back into a building that has been part of the Texas Tech campus since the beginning.

Dairy Barn 2013 by Conner DavisJanuary 23, 2013: At the time this paper was presented in April 2011, the Dairy Barn was not in good shape. There were holes in the roof and the paint was peeling. In the fall of 2012, restoration work was completed on the Dairy Barn. The roof was replaced. The Diary Barn received a fresh coat of paint and exterior damage was repaired. The author is not aware of what work was completed inside the building.

Works Cited

Andrews, Ruth Horn. The First Thirty Years. The Texas Tech Press, Lubbock, Texas, 1956

Connor, Seymour V. Builders of the Southwest. Southwest Collection, Texas Technological College, Lubbock, Texas 1959

Green, Donald E. Fifty Years of Service to West Texas Agriculture: A History of Texas Tech University’s College of Agricultural Sciences 1925-1975, Texas Tech Press, Lubbock, Texas 1977

W. L. Stangel Papers, 1888-1975 and undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas

Dairy Barn Records, 1970-1992 and undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas

Arch Green and Mina Wolf Lamb Papers, 1832-2002 and undated, Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas


Oddities in the University Archives

The majority of the material that makes up the University Archives at Texas Tech University consists of historical documents and memorabilia relating directly to Texas Tech. Occasionally an item will appear within a collection that does not fit the collecting scope of the University Archives. One of the collections currently being processed is from the President’s Office, dated 1932-1938. Bradford Knapp was president of Texas Tech during this time period.  The oddities highlighted here will remain within this collection.

This collection contains an entire folder of advertisements sent to the Texas Tech Bookstore by various publishing houses and suppliers of items a college student might need.

Collegiate Cap and Gowns, 1933

Caps, Gowns, and Hoods for all degrees, including Bachelor’s, 1933.

Vogue Sport Soles

Vogue Sport Soles Advertisement, 1933. Metal Soles to attach to any shoe to make it into a sport shoe.

The Economic Forum Newsletter

Economic Forum newsletter subscription offer, including 3 free books concerning the economy. This advertisement was in the Bookstore folder dated 1933, at the height of the Great Depression.

Leroy T. Patton and the Geology Field Trips

(originally posted June 3, 2011)

The inspiration for this week’s “Notes from the University Archives” came about while rooting through early papers from the President’s records from the 1920s-1940s. A bit of correspondence between President Bradford Knapp and Leroy T. Patton discussing the basis for a student’s grade caught my eye. Patton suggested the following scale, stating that it was as close as he could recall from previous experience:

An A Student is one who has mastered the subject and has made it a part of his mental equipment to such as extent that he can use it independently.

An B Student is one who knows the subject, can answer most of the question upon it, but has not made it so thoroughly a part of his mental equipment that he can use it independently to any large extent.

An C Student has mastered a fair amount of the subject, but cannot make independent use of it.

An D Student has obtained some value from the subject, but comparatively little.

An F Student is one who has obtained practically nothing from the study of the subject.

Who was this man behind this definition of a student grade scale?

Leroy T. Patton

Leroy Thompson Patton began as a professor of geology at Texas Technological College in 1925, the first year Texas Technological College opened. Before that, he had served as professor and department head of chemistry and geology at Musingum College and associate geologist with the Bureau of Economic Geology at the University of Texas, as well as having served as a high school principal and superintendent of schools in Ohio. Patton was also a member of Sigma Xi, a graduate science research society.

Patton, learning of the new college that was opening up in West Texas, contacted the new president, Dr. Paul Whitfield Horn in the hopes of obtaining a new position. “At the time I applied for a job Dr. Horn hadn’t planned to have a geology department. I had to sell him on a geology department and on myself,” he reflected in 1950 as he prepared to retire the following year. As there were not enough students to fill a geology position full-time, Patton agreed to also teach chemistry. “Incidentally, I never have taught chemistry,” he proudly boasted.

The very limited number of buildings on the new campus proved to be a challenge for many who started teaching at Texas Tech. Patton’s office was shared with biology professor Dr. Richard Studhalter, his classroom space was in the Administration Building, his labs in the Home Economics and Textile Engineering Buildings, and additionally he also coached boxing in the mule barn.

Not one to rest on his laurels, Patton worked hard to publish in his field and a Geological Society of Texas Technological College was established which later petitioned Sigma Gamma Epsilon to become a chapter in 1931. Geology courses were popular, having 281 students enrolled by fall of 1931 and 296 in the fall of 1932.

Patton also began to conduct a field course in geology for his students starting in 1927. The goal was to give his students field experience before they graduated. A wonderful little scrapbook resides in the Archives from the first field trip to New Mexico from June 7-July 14, 1927. Among the places they visited were the Guadalupe Mountains, the New Mexico Military Institute at Roswell, Ruidoso, Lincoln National Forest, San Andres Canyon, and White Sands.

Image #3 "In the Guadalupe Mountains"

Image #3 “In the Guadalupe Mountains”

Image #35 "Above the timber line - noon lunch in a beautiful mountain meadow 10,000 ft. elevation."

Image #35 “Above the timber line – noon lunch in a beautiful mountain meadow 10,000 ft. elevation.”

Caption 63: "Collecting fossils in San Andres Canyon."

Caption 63: “Collecting fossils in San Andres Canyon.”

Caption 93: "One of our many outdoor lecture rooms."

Caption 93: “One of our many outdoor lecture rooms.”

To view this collection, please visit the Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library on the Texas Tech University campus. Richard Studhalter later formed a similar student group, called the Biology Club, in 1937 which also went on field trips and his collection can also be found in the University Archives.

Written by: Lynn Whitfield

This is Texas Tech

Originally posted May 31, 2011

One of the best aspects of the Internet is the ability to provide access to unique or rare material to a larger audience. One such item we ran across was a 1947 Tech promo video which had been placed on YouTube. The five minute film was narrated by Clint Formby, a noted Tech alum who graduated with a journalism degree in 1949. Clint went on to do a daily radio program on KPAN called the “Day-by-Day Philosopher” which ran for nearly 55 years before his passing in 2010. While Clint narrates an overview of the Raider life in 1947, the film shows footage of the Administration Building and its towers and bells, students crossing Memorial Circle to go to class, Red Raiders marching in the homecoming parade, a touchdown by the football team, and the Texas Tech “Matador Band” performing a Double T formation.

The same person has also posted footage of the 1960 Jones Stadium expansion.

The University Archives houses thousands of feet of school footage, including footage from the University News and Publications Office, now called Marketing and Communications. We have found another “This is Texas Tech” type film which we have been able to digitize. The recording is undated but the clothes and hairstyles are distinctly from the ’80s. However, the recording does not have sound yet as currently we do not have the equipment that can transfer that part. Hopefully we will be able to do that in the near future. There’s no telling what other blast from the past footage resides hidden among our holdings. Numerous recordings and reels are unlabelled and will have to be viewed to determine their content.

Do you have any such hidden treasures among your holdings? If so and you are interested in sharing it with other Tech alumns, please contact the University Archives. We would all be interested in seeing more “This is Texas Tech” gems such as the ones described above.

Out with the old, in with the new!

(repost from September 19, 2008)

On Saturday, September 20, 2008, Gaston and Thompson Halls will be demolished to make room for the new Jerry S. Rawls College of Business at Texas Tech University. If you were a student at here, chances are you visited one or both of these buildings at some point. You may have stayed in Gaston Hall when it served as graduate housing or paid a late night visit Thompson Hall to see a doctor in the Student Health Clinic. In rememberance of these structures, here’s some interesting facts from Texas Tech history:

Located on the northwest side of the Tech campus, the Thompson-Gaston-Wells-Carpenter Halls complex was comprised of two-hall complexes. The Thompson-Gaston dormitory cost an estimated $2,705,120 to build in 1958.

Thompson Hall was named after Dr. Charles Collins Thompson, a lawyer who served on the Texas Technological College Board of Directors starting from 1937-1957. He was born on July 3, 1898, in Erath County, Texas. After attending Simmon College for a year, he received a teacher’s certificate and later attended UT Law School. Thompson was admitted to the Texas Bar in 1923, served as a County Judge of Mitchell County from 1925-1931, was President of City National Bank in Colorado City, Texas in 1937, and received an honorary Doctor of Law degree from Tech in 1958. He was active in numerous civic organizations and had the nickname “Mr. Farm Credit” due to his involvement in farm credit lending practices. In 1972, he was named “Man of the Year in Texas Agriculture” by The Progressive Farmer magazine. Thompson passed away in 1983. Aside from having the dormitory named after him, a Charles C. Thompson Professorship in Agricultural Finance was established in his name in the College of Agricultural Sciences.

William Thomas Gaston, for whom Gaston Hall was named after, was born in Henderson, Texas on May 10, 1879. He attended Polytechnic College for one year before going on to accept numerous business manager positions. He accepted the position of Business Manager at Texas Tech in 1929 and remained in this position until his retirement in 1954. He is noted for laying the ground work for the dormitory system at Texas Tech. Gaston is also credited with being the first member of The Heritage Club, an archiving project started in 1965 to preserve the photographic history of the university.